Every year the American Society of Plastic Surgeons tracks the popularity of cosmetic procedures for facial aging. Leading in popularity are volume enhancers and neurotoxins. These procedures help soften facial lines and fill volume loss and are popular because of their effectiveness, affordability, and minimal downtime. These same attributes have attracted an influx of providers who are cashing in on the trend to profit from providing these treatments. Many have taken crash courses to become injectors, some have no credentials and pass themselves off to the public as “experts”.
Then how do you go about choosing a competent and qualified injector? The choice is important and should be taken as seriously as you would when choosing a medical provider to care for your family. Here is a list of what you need to consider:
- Credentials: Is this a qualified injector? They must have a valid state license and can be a Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Physician’s Assistant, or Medical Doctor.
- Specialized training: It takes hours of specialized training to learn the anatomy, injection techniques, and safety. Most people do not know that one of the complications of injections around the eyes is blindness! You want to go to someone who knows how to recognize serious complications and has a protocol to be able to treat these rare problems.
- Do they have an eye for aesthetics, proportion, and beauty? Ask to see before and after photographs of patients who had similar treatments. Can you see a difference between the before and after? Do not be fooled by makeup and lighting. These should be standardized between the two comparisons.
- Is there a commitment to quality? This will include a consultation that clarifies your expectations, outlines an adequate treatment strategy, reviews the procedure risks, and includes photographs to document your before and after results. Do they offer a professional guarantee?
- Do they only offer a “one size, one procedure fits all” approach which can lead to an overfilled, bloated appearance? Your injector needs to know the limitations of the treatments they offer and know when to refer you to someone skilled at more invasive, permanent, and effective treatments to achieve your goals.
Do not be afraid to ask questions. Any competent provider should be able to answer all questions and take the time to help you understand the process. Facial fillers and neurotoxins are a safe and effective anti-aging solution that has radically changed cosmetic rejuvenation for men and women. Just be careful who is behind the syringe!
At Maxwell Aesthetics we have only trained Registered Nurses and a Nurse Practitioner, all of whom have dedicated their time to education and training to prioritize the safe delivery of natural-looking results. All procedures are performed in a safe medical office with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon overseeing your treatments. Each injector has an eye for detail, skill in injecting safely, and are trained to not overpromise and underdeliver. Schedule a Consultation with one of the experts at Maxwell Aesthetics and begin the journey of aging gracefully and beautifully.